This Apple Chicken Loaf is a new twist on the traditional meatloaf, healthier but still full of flavour and comfort! This is a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey, and because the recipe includes carrots and celery, it’s a great way to sneak more veggies into your family’s diet!
I love this loaf, especially the leftovers (if you have any), which makes great lunch sandwiches for work! This dish is best paired with mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus.
Apple Chicken LoafPrint Recipe
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 1/4 cups of grated carrots
- 1 cup of finely chopped celery
- 1 cup of finely chopped onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/4 pound of ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs more or less
- 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400F and spray some oil into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large pan, cook onions, celery, carrots, and apples, and season with salt. Stir occasionally until the vegetables start to brown, which is about 10-12 minutes. Let it cool.
- Mix together egg, chicken, milk, mustard, bread crumbs, poultry seasoning, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Add the carrot mixture and stir it gently.
- Transfer to the baking dish and shape into a loaf. Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375F and bake for 25 minutes more or until the centre is cooked.
- Serve it with mashed potatoes and asparagus. You can choose different side dishes like salad or rice. Enjoy!