If you’ve never had Gochujang before, you’re in for a real treat! It’s kind of like a Korean version of barbecue sauce but made out of fermented red chilli peppers. It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, and very savoury. This Gochujang chicken tacos recipe is so good. Don’t be scared, it’s wonderful! I’m able to get it at my local supermarket, but if you live in a more remote area, it may require a trip to an Asian market or an online order.
Making these Gochujang chicken tacos is as simple as they are delicious. Just puree the sauce ingredients together, add it to the Instant Pot with the chicken and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, make the cabbage slaw and spicy mayo. Then remove the chicken, and voila! It’s taco time in under 30 minutes! You’re welcome.
Gochujang chicken tacosPrint Recipe
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar, divided
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Gochujang
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil, divided
- 1 can of pears, drained
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds of ground chicken meat
- 3 cups of coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/3 cup of mayo
- 1-2 tablespoons of sriracha to taste
- 1/3 cup of peanuts
- 1/4 cup of corn
- 4 green onions, diced
- A handful of cilantro, diced
- 1 lime, quartered
- In a food processor or blender, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, gochujang, ginger, garlic, 2 tablespoons sesame oil and pears. Puree until smooth.
- Set your Instant Pot to the highest saute function and heat the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil until shimmering.
- Add chicken and cook until browned, for approximately 5 minutes. Add pureed sauce mixture, then cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. Quick-release when done, then remove chicken and shred with a fork.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix cabbage, 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To make the spicy mayo, mix together mayo, sriracha and juice of 1/4 of a lime. Set aside.
- To assemble tacos, place shredded chicken on top of a charred tortilla, then top with cabbage mix, corn, cilantro, green onions, peanuts, spicy mayo, and fresh-squeezed lime juice.