This stuffed acorn squash with chicken is a wonderfully creative meal for fall and winter. You can make this meatless or add in ground chicken if you choose. The recipe below calls for chicken, but if you feel like a veggie-only night, feel free to skip the chicken.
You will want to let the dish sit for a few minutes as it will be very hot! Then, when you eat it, make sure to take a bite with a spoonful of both the swiss chard mixture with the squash, as the combination of both is excellent. It’s meant to be combined. Enjoy making this stuffed acorn squash with chicken recipe!
Delectable Stuffed Acorn Squash With Chicken Recipe
- 2 medium acorn squash quartered lengthwise
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard stems removed and leaves cut into 1/4 inch ribbons
- 1 pinch salt coarse
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 spoonfuls tomato sauce
- 1 cup bread crumbs whole-wheat
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano freshly grated
- ½ pound ground chicken thighs
- 1 dash oregano dried
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Season the acorn squash with salt and pepper and place on a rimmed baking sheet, skin side down. Drizzle the olive oil over the squash and bake till tender, 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a splash of olive oil over med-high heat in a large dutch oven or heavy pan. Cook the ground chicken. Add in salt, pepper and oregano. Once the meat is cooked through, set aside on a plate. Wipe the excess fat and juices from the pan.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add scallions and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chard and stir. Cover and cook over medium until the veggies are soft, about 8 minutes. Uncover and cook until the mixture is almost dry, about 5 minutes. Stir in the basil, tomato paste and chicken, and cook, stirring until fragrant, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In your small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Fill the squash with chard mixture and top with breadcrumb mixture. Place the acorn squash under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until the breadcrumbs are browned.