I’m a sucker for lasagna. Well, you can’t go wrong with Italian dishes. So today, I’ll share with you this delicious zucchini lasagna with homemade marinara sauce that I love making during special celebrations.
This homemade marinara recipe includes ground meat. But, if you are a meat hater, it would still taste delicious without it or a meatless substitute. Or, just add more vegetables!
Creamy Zucchini Lasagna with Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 12 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese - shredded
- ½ pound ground beef (minced beef)
- ½ medium yellow onion - diced
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 3 ½ cups passata or crushed tomatoes (tomato puree with seeds removed)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Slice zucchinis about 1/4-inch thick or thinner. Place a paper towel on a plate and line it with the sliced zucchini. Sprinkle with salt. Continue to layer paper towel, zucchini and salt and set aside. This will help to drain some of the water from the zucchini.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, cook ground meat over medium heat. After it is fully cooked, add onion, tomato, garlic, oregano and basil. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Next, stir in tomato puree and let simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once the sauce is finished, add a thin layer to the bottom of the 9×9 baking dish. Layer with zucchini, cottage cheese, cheese and sauce in that order. Continue to layer until all zucchini is used.
- Top with more cheese and cover with foil, only closing off two sides so that steam can escape. Place covered lasagna on a baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. Enjoy!