I love lasagna. It has all of my favorite things: pasta, cheese, tomato sauce, and ground beef. What could go wrong? It really is supreme comfort food. I made this low-carb lasagna, pasta free alternative to the traditional Italian casserole we all know and love. There aren’t many changes to your traditional lasagna in this recipe. The main substitution is zucchini “noodles” in place of regular pasta.
This Low-Carb Lasagna is incredibly simple and gives you the same mouthfeel that you get from regular pasta. All you need is a few large zucchini and a vegetable peeler. Start by pulling a small strip that will all peel off the side, then continue shaving long strips all the way through. A quick tip is to cut the zucchini in half first, so it will lay flat on the cutting board instead of rolling around.
The Ultimate Low-Carb Lasagna | Easy and DeliciousPrint Recipe
- 2 large zucchinis
- 225 grams of sliced mushrooms
- 500 grams ground sirloin
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large shallot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 680-millimeter tomato puree (1 bottle)
- Splash of dry red wine (optional)
- 300 grams of dry mozzarella
- 475 grams of smooth Ricotta cheese (1 container)
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice mushrooms – the thinner they are, the faster they’ll cook.
2. Chop shallot and garlic.
3. Heat a large deep-dish pan over medium-high heat.
4. Add olive oil, garlic, and shallot to the pan and soften (about 1-2 minutes).
5. Add mushrooms to the pan and saute until lightly caramelized. (about 3 minutes).
6. Move mushrooms to one side of the pan and add ground sirloin.
7. Brown the ground sirloin and slowly incorporate the mushrooms back in.
8. Add a splash of red wine just as the beef is finishing.
9. While the alcohol cooks off, chop the fresh basil.
10. Add the tomato puree and fresh basil and incorporate them into the beef and mushroom mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer.
11. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
12. Slice the zucchini with a vegetable peeler and set it aside.
13. Add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of your baking dish and cover with a layer of zucchini.
14. Add about half of the remaining sauce and cover with a layer of zucchini.
15. Add a layer of ricotta and crack some fresh black pepper over the top and cover with a layer of zucchini.
16. Add the remaining sauce, and cover with grated mozzarella cheese.
17. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes – The top should be golden brown.
18 Let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.