This dish is also known as shepherd’s pie, or cottage pie recipe. A traditional shepherd’s pie would call for lamb meat. In the nature of being quick and easy, we use ground beef in my house. While this dish has “pie” in its name I totally consider it a casserole.
Yummy, Easy, Quick Cottage Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small yellow onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock (beef broth or beef bouillon) - beef or chicken
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pack potatoes - mashed
- Saute onions in a large skillet until nearly done, about 4-5 minutes. Add ground beef with parsley, rosemary, and thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook until meat is cooked through.
- Add garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Once combined add flour and tomato paste. Make sure to stir well so the mixture is smooth.
- Add broth and vegetables. Simmer on medium heat until the mixture is thickened.
- This is the point in most recipes where you will find that you need to also make homemade mashed potatoes. For me, this does not make a quick casserole you can just throw together. So as a tip here, use instant mashed potatoes. I prefer the Idahoan brand. You make them with just water and you can add in whatever flavors you would wish to have in them. Ok, Back to the recipe.
- Place meat mixture in a 9×9 inch dish and smooth out evenly.
- Place mashed potatoes on top of the meat mixture. Spread as evenly as possible in thickness.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or potatoes are brown and the mixture is bubbly. Let cool and set for a few minutes before serving.