I am going to share with you a delicious recipe for crispy pouches with minced beef that will surely surprise your friends and family. Tasteful and cute, they’ll become a must-have appetiser for all your gatherings. If you want a richer flavour you can also use mixed mince or just ground pork but first try it out with beef and then you decide.
Crispy Dough Pouches with Minced Beef
- 1 ½ pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 medium yellow onion - grated
- 1 cup olive oil
- 10 stalks celery - boiled, use them to tie the pouches
- ⅔ cup red wine
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins - golden
- ⅓ cup parsley - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pieces bay leaf (bay leaves)
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice (also called pimento or Jamaican Pepper)
- 1 teaspoon paprika - sweet
- 1 teaspoon salt - or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper - or to taste
- Heat a pan, add olive oil (keep some to grease the dough later) and add the ground meat. Cook until brown.
- Add the raisins, pine nuts, chopped chestnuts, cinnamon, bay leaf, allspice, paprika and red wine. Cook for 10 min, stirring over medium heat.
- Add salt, pepper and cognac and bring to a boil.
- Then remove from the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Add the chopped parsley and stir.
- Preheat the oven to 355°F.
- Cut the dough crust into approximately 6×6 inches squares. Start with the first dough square, spread some oil, place the second dough square on it, spread some oil, and put a third square with the same steps.
- Put two or three spoonfuls of meat filling in the centre of the dough squares and lift the edges to look like a pouch.
- Tie each pouch with a sprig of celery. Repeat until you have made about ten pouches.
- Place them in a non-stick pan and bake until the dough becomes golden brown and crispy (20-25 minutes).