Last week I made a classic cottage pie. This ground beef recipe below is a modified version. You should definitely try your hand at making this simple savory pie. It is so easy to make and freezer-friendly. So the next time you think of ground beef, remember to make this recipe.
Classic Cottage Pie Recipe
This classic cottage pie is made using ground beef. You should definitely make this simple savory pie!
- Pastry brush
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar (white sugar)
- ½ pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 medium carrots - diced
- 1 medium potatoes - diced
- ½ cup peas
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 1 splash heavy cream (also called thickened cream)
- 1 pinch salt - to taste
- 1 medium egg
- 1 handful parsley - for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sugar. Cook until light brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef and cook until brown (about 15 minutes), then add the rest of the vegetables (carrots, potato, peas, garlic and thyme) and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and flour and cook for 1 minute. Add a can of Guinness and scrape all bits off the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid until the sauce is thick but the ingredients remain moist.
- Remove from heat, stir in the heavy cream, and allow it to slightly cool. Set aside.
- Follow pie crust and filling. Line your pie pan with the rolled out crust dough. Add the meat and vegetable mixture then place the top of the rolled pie crust over the filling. Pinch the sides of the two layers of crust to seal in the filling.
- Break an egg into a bowl and add a splash of water. Brush on egg mixture all over top crust then garnish with Italian parsley (if desired).
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven at 375°F for about 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Serve!
Calories: 473kcalCarbohydrates: 43gProtein: 17gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 306mgPotassium: 688mgFiber: 5gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 5468IUVitamin C: 26mgCalcium: 62mgIron: 4mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.