Today I am sharing with you a ground beef recipe that was given to me a few years ago. Everyone should try this alternative take on the traditional Lasagna; especially if you are trying to cut back on your simple carb intake. This Heavenly Low-Carb Lasagna is a hearty Lasagna loaded with nutritious vegetables, filling ground beef and incredible flavors. I guarantee you will not break open another Lasagna pasta box after making this dish.
Heavenly Low-Carb Lasagna
This Heavenly Low-Carb Lasagna is a hearty Lasagna loaded with nutritious vegetables, filling ground beef and incredible flavors.
- 1 Cooking spray
- 2 pounds ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - diced
- 1 large red pepper (red capsicum) - diced
- 1 cup mushrooms - diced
- 2 cups passata or crushed tomatoes (tomato puree with seeds removed)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 pinch salt - , add more according to taste
- 4 large zucchini - sliced thin
- 2 large eggplant (brinjal, aubergine, or guinea squash) - sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups spinach - chopped
- 1 bunch green onions (scallions or green shallots) - chopped
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups Marinara sauce (tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and onions – pasta sauce in southern hemisphere for Italian seafood dish)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place sliced zucchini and eggplant on baking sheets and brush on with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on both sides. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the Spinach and Ricotta Filling. Add the spinach, green onions, Ricotta and Parmesan Cheese to a medium mixing bowl. Combine until all ingredients are mixed together. Set aside.
- Now, onto the meat sauce. Saute the onions, garlic and red peppers in a medium saucepan until softened for about 3 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and herbs. Stir into the other vegetables and continue to saute for another 3 minutes. Slowly add the ground beef to the saucepan, combine with the vegetables and brown for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, add the tomato pulp to the ground meat mixture, stir well and simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Once all the components are ready; it’s time to assemble the lasagna. Start with spraying a baking pan with cooking oil so that the vegetables do not stick to the pan. Then spoon in 2 cups of your favorite Pasta Sauce. I used Catelli Mushroom Pasta Sauce. Next layer on the eggplant, making sure to cover the bottom of the pan well. Follow with a layer of 1/2 of the meat sauce and a layer of zucchini covering the meat sauce as much as you can. Next, spoon on the Spinach and Ricotta Filling. Continue with the rest of the meat sauce and the remaining eggplant. Top with all of the shredded cheese blend. Bake covered for 30 minutes at 365°F.
Calories: 485kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 29gFat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 473mgPotassium: 1469mgFiber: 8gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 2485IUVitamin C: 72mgCalcium: 199mgIron: 5mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!