The best part about making this Delicious BBQ Meatballs recipe is that it feeds our family three times. This is a ground beef recipe. However, you can use ground turkey if you want a healthier meat alternative. When I make this recipe, I make one batch from start to finish, and two batches go straight to the freezer while still raw.
Delicious BBQ Meatballs
- 3 pounds ground beef (minced beef) - or ground turkey if you prefer
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ cup white onion - chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 pieces bread - I usually use up the heels of the bread, but regular slices are fine too
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups BBQ sauce (barbecue sauce)
- Crumble your bread into tiny pieces. You can use kitchen scissors to cut your bread in thin strips going one direction and then hold all of the strips together and cut them in the other direction. I cut my strips first. That way, if a big piece falls in the pan, it is easy to get back out to cut up into smaller pieces.
- Once the bread crumbs are all cut, you can add all ingredients EXCEPT for the BBQ sauce. Mix together all ingredients with your clean hands. If you do not like to touch raw meat, you will want to cook rubber gloves.
- Once everything is mixed together and there is a good consistency, roll into a small ball about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. This is going to be a little bigger than a ping pong ball.
- Place the balls evenly in a glass baking dish. If you freeze the meatballs, you can finish up here with a lid and place it in the freezer. If you are preparing the meatballs to eat, continue with directions.
- Spread BBQ sauce over meatballs in a back and forth pattern. You don’t need to completely cover them in the sauce. The sauce will settle in the oven.
- Cook meatballs in the oven at 375°F for 35-40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.