Grilled meatball is a favourite street food among Thai people and tourists, which you can find all over Thailand. However, after living in Australia for all my life, I have never ever seen this sold on the street.
You can buy meatballs in Asian grocery shops; they are a bit pricy and come in frozen packs. These days I make them in a big batch and use or grill on skewers and freeze them for later. I like to use meatballs in beef noodle soup for cold days. For me, it is heaven, like I am living in Thailand. My daughter likes to have a few extra as she said this grilled meatball is so special.
Easy Grilled Meatball With Special Dipping Sauce
Grilled Meatball Ingredients
- 500 grams ground beef (minced beef)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 150 ml water - cold
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white pepper - ground
- 2 teaspoons salt - ground
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- ⅓ cup palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt - ground
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (chilli sauce in British English)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- ⅔ cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 whole garlic - pickled, finely chopped
- 4 medium red chili (red chilli in British English) - finely chopped
- Add the minced beef into the food processor bowl, use Chopping Process, and proceed many times until the beef is finely chopped, fluffy and slightly pale.
- Put the rest of the ingredients into the mixing bowl with the beef and proceed again until the beef gets stuck and pale.
- Take the beef out, put it in the container, and keep it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, waiting for the beef, put the big pot on the stove, pour water into approximately half of the pot and boil on high heat.
- Once the water is boiled, turn the heat down until the water in the pot is still.
- After 30 minutes, take the beef out and pulse again with a food processor.
- Add beef into the palm of the right or left hand, and squeeze the beef into the ball shape; the meatball will come out between the thumb and the first finger; then, use the spoon to scoop the meatball and put it into hot water.
- Repeat squeezing and making meatballs until finished with all the beef.
- Turn the heat on high again and boil the meatball for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use the ladle to take the meatball out of the pot and soak it in the cold, icy bowl.
- Then, rinse the meatball with cold water, and rest until it is cold.
- Serve warm on skewers with the dipping sauce.
Dipping Sauce Instructions
- Add the tamarind paste, water, and palm sugar to the small pot and put it on low heat. Stir until the palm sugar is dissolved.
- Add the salt and the chilli sauce and keep stirring again.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of the water and the cornflour together and add to the pot, stirring until all mixed in and dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and add the chopped chillies, chopped garlic, and pickled garlic. Set aside.
- Once it is cold, decorate with chopped coriander leaves.