This Easy Casserole can be elaborate or made simple, but either way, they are a great “go-to” meal. Most of the time, you can put together easy casserole dinners with items you already have on hand in your pantry or refrigerator. This makes for a great last-minute “what are we going to have for dinner night”. On the other hand, you can plan casseroles ahead of time, and this will lead to them being more elaborate than a last-minute meal. Most of the time, it is a last-minute meal, though for me, and I like to just start putting things together. Let’s check out some of my favorite casseroles.
I do believe that everyone loves some type of taco, burrito, or fajita. This easy casserole is great because you can make it taste like any of these that you want fairly easy and less messy.
Insanely Easy Casserole
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese - shredded
- 6 pieces flour tortillas - soft taco/fajita size
- 1 can corn - drained
- 2 ¾ cups salsa - mild, I prefer chunky salsa
- 1 medium red pepper (red capsicum) - or orange bell pepper sliced
- 1 package taco seasoning - homemade
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - The leaner the meat the better here
- Brown your ground beef in a medium skillet. Once your meat is browned, drain the fat off, and return to the same pan. Add taco seasoning, water, and peppers. Return to a simmer. The mixture will thicken, and then add corn and salsa.
- Spray a 13×9 inch dish. Cut your tortillas in half and add 6 halves to the bottom of the dish. (If you wish to add a tiny bit of salsa to the bottom of the dish, just barely coat the bottom before adding the tortillas. This will help to keep them from sticking as well.)
- Add half of your meat mixture and top with half of the cheese.
- Layer the remaining 6 tortillas and repeat with the remaining meat and cheese.
- Cover and cook for 35 minutes in a 350°F oven.