This Teriyaki Meatloaf is a favorite in our household. Meatloaf has quite a history. Minced meat mixed with spices has been served darn near forever, and as kin to the meatball, it’s a staple in every household that can get meat and chooses to eat it. In Ancient Rome, meatloaf was served with wine-soaked bread, and in Germany, you could cut open a meatloaf and find eggs cooked inside! It’s easy to flavor and easily pleases most people, one way or the other.
This is how I like my Teriyaki Meatloaf. If I’m cooking meat, I want it robust with flavor! Give me sweet, savory, salty, any of it! Except maybe sour – that’s for special occasions and definitely not for Teriyaki Meatloaf. If I’m using ground beef as the base of my meatloaf, teriyaki is the way to go.
Delicious Teriyaki MeatloafPrint Recipe
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- TO MAKE THE MEATLOAF:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ½ cup bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and grease with Crisco. You’ll thank me later.
2. Mix sauce ingredients well and set aside.
3. Mix ground beef, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, eggs, and milk with your hands until nicely combined. Mix in all but 1/3 cup of the sauce.
4. Dump your meatloaf mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and form it into a mound or loaf shape. It should hold because the meat is awesome like that. Top with the remaining sauce.
5. Bake for an hour and a half, checking occasionally for doneness. Depending on your shape, it may require more or less time.
6. Serve with white rice or homemade mashed potatoes!