Cheesy Pizza Hamburger Pie
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 piece rye bread, soaked in water and wrung out into crumbs; discard the crust
- 1 ounce egg substitute
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 2 large mushrooms, (2 ounces) sliced thin
- 1/2 small green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large Roma tomato, sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup non-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. In a small bowl combine the beef, crumbled rye bread, egg substitute, garlic powder, pepper and salt. Coat a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray. Press the beef into the pie pan making a crust.
3. Coat a nonstick sauté pan and sauté the shallots and mushrooms until almost cooked through. Place it on top of the beef shell. Top with diced green pepper and make rings of the tomato slices over the top. Sprinkle with herbs. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 35 minutes until browned.
4. Allow the pie to rest for 5 minutes before removing from the pie pan onto a serving plate.