These Juicy Braised Meatballs With Szechuan Sauce are so tasty; you’ll love eating this regularly. It’s a dish that pays tribute to Asian cuisine with the Szechuan sauce that you’ll love. Check out the easy recipe below.
Juicy Braised Meatballs With Szechuan SaucePrint Recipe
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon of 5-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 can of water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped finely
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons of canola oil
- 1/4 cup of Szechuan sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 15-ounce can of straw mushrooms
- 4 cups of shredded Chinese cabbage
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Mix together the ground beef, 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, the water chestnuts, salt, and 5-spice powder in a bowl. Separate the mixture into roughly 12 portions and roll each into a ball.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch and broth to a bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Cook the meatballs for about 3 minutes, turning once. Once done, set meatballs aside.
- Add 2 more teaspoons of oil to the skillet and the red pepper and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Stir in the broth mix, cabbage, Szechuan sauce and mushrooms. Cook for about 2 minutes until your cabbage is just starting to wilt.
- Reduce to simmer and add meatballs back into the skillet. Cover and cook for around ten minutes until the sauce thickens, and meatballs are thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with the scallions.
- This meal can be served with anything from steamed veggies to rice, noodles or pasta.