This Special Turkey And Pumpkin Red Bean Chili is just what I need to warm up, and get back on track with healthy eating.
If you aren’t a pumpkin lover, give this recipe a try anyway. Ground turkey is much healthier than ground beef. Also, this recipe doesn’t taste like pumpkin, it just adds a nice thickness and undertone of flavor. Happy healthy eating!
Special Turkey And Pumpkin Red Bean Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey) - lean turkey or chicken
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium red pepper - or green pepper, diced
- 2 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 pieces bay leaf (bay leaves)
- 1 pinch salt - to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 14.5 ounce tomato
- 3 cups chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon) - reduced sodium
- 4 sprigs cilantro (coriander) - garnish (optional)
- 1 large avocados - garnish (optional)
- 3 stalks green onions (scallions or green shallots) - garnish (optional)
- 1 small bag tortilla chips - garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until half of the turkey is no longer pink. Add the onions and cook for another few minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Place the mixture into your slow cooker.
- Add the pepper, spices, pumpkin, beans, chilies, tomatoes (juice and all) and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook for about 6 hours on low. Remove bay leaves before servings. Serve with cilantro, avocado, green onion and tortilla chips.