I was raised in a loving family that cooked old school. I was pretty lucky. One of my mom’s favorite (and thus our entire family’s favorite) recipes was turkey rice meatballs. My mom made it with ground beef and white rice but my updated healthier take on the classic is complete with turkey sausage and brown rice.
The turkey sausage is better for your arteries and less fat, while the brown rice works for a gluten-free diet and contains slightly more fiber than its bleached counterpart. The recipe is rather simple but takes a bit of time. If you want to stay healthy but feel full, try these turkey rice meatballs with a savory red wine-tomato sauce. You will not be disappointed!
Delicious Turkey Rice Meatballs With Red WinePrint Recipe
- 1 pound of ground turkey sausages, uncooked, casings removed
- 2 servings of brown rice, cooked
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped finely
- 1 onion, chopped finely (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large can of organic, crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine rice, chopped pepper and uncooked sausage (casings removed). Add dried onion, chopped onion and parsley. Combine thoroughly and form into palm-sized balls. You should have about 12 large meatballs.
2. To cook, place in a preheated oven (350 degrees) for about 20 minutes for 6 meatballs, or longer if cooking all together. Check your meatballs occasionally to make sure they are not pink.
3. In a large saucepan/soup kettle, combine crushed tomatoes and red wine, add meatballs. Cover and simmer on low for about 30 minutes to an hour. Add salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste.
4. To serve. Consider serving over a bed of fresh spinach dressed with garlic oil, salt and pepper, complete with fresh grated parmesan. The meatballs are also fantastic with pasta or completely on their own!