After my first day back at the office, I really fancied something extra yummy and homely. Growing up, we all had favourite dinners, and one of those was my Grandma’s Sheppard’s pie for me. So I decided to cook a healthier version of this sweet potato pie that is dairy and gluten-free!
I call this recipe the Sweetest of Sweet Potato Pie because it’s obviously sweet and savoury. It’s the perfect quick comfort food to serve when you want your family or guests to feel satiated.
Check out the very easy recipe below that you can perfect on the first attempt.
The Sweetest of Sweet Potato PiePrint Recipe
- Topping Ingredients
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 20 grams of Greek yogurt
- 30 ml of soya milk
- Filling Ingredients
- 400 grams of lean turkey mince
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1/3 courgette
- 1/4 cup of peas
- 1/4 cup of diced carrots
- ½ red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chopped chillis
- 1 drizzle of fish sauce or 1 teaspoon of liquid chicken stock
- Peel sweet potatoes and then boil or put them in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes – you will know once cooked as they will become soft.
- Mash the sweet potato, and add the soya milk and Greek yogurt (add ½ teaspoon of chi coconut oil if you fancy).
- Put a pan on low heat, add the chi coconut oil to melt, then and add onions, chilli, and garlic. Sautees until browned, then add the turkey and the remaining vegetables chopped. Once the turkey has cooked through, add the fish sauce or chicken stock.
- Put the filling into the bottom of a casserole dish, followed by the sweet potato topping. Flatten with a fork, grated nutmeg, and sprinkle oregano over the top.