Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie is a dish that my cousin Angela has made before. The dish consists of various vegetables that are sauteed with meat, traditionally lamb, and thickened with a sort of gravy. It is then placed in a baking dish evenly, and mashed white potatoes are spread over the top of the mixture.
In the past, I wasn’t a big fan of the Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie dish. As simple as a dish, it’s easy to make it complicated with the addition of too many ingredients. After quite some time of not having the dish, Angela made the it again this week for our lunches. It was excellent, and I really enjoyed it.
Listed below is Angela’s version of Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie. She used roasted sweet potatoes that were mashed. Angela also has a seasoning recipe that she uses on meat that resembles the taste of sausage. I will post that recipe soon.
Try this Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie recipe out and tell me what you think.
Step-By-Step Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
- 2 cups sweet potato
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey) - beef or chicken
- ½ medium white onion - diced
- ½ cup mushrooms - chopped
- ¾ cup peas - you can used frozen
- ¾ cup carrots - you can used frozen
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch salt - to taste
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK) - or cornstarch
- ½ cup chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon) - low sodium
- ½ cup cheddar cheese - shredded (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Add onions and mushrooms to a pan on medium heat.
- Saute until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the meat with oregano, pepper and salt and cook on medium-high heat. Cook until browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and cornstarch and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the frozen veggies and cook just long enough to heat through 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Using the sprayed baking dish, spread the meat mixture evenly in the pan.
- Top with mashed sweet potatoes in an even layer.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- If not using cheese, bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes to crisp up the sweet potatoes.
- Remove from the oven, let stand for 10 minutes and then cut and serve.