So yesterday, we returned home from a long weekend away. The first thing I did was grocery shop! I love grocery shopping, and I’ll do almost anything to avoid unpacking. I didn’t go to the store with a plan; I just picked up my basics; 2 pounds ground turkey breast, eggs and LaCroix water. (which is just essential for living, if you ask me). When I finally decided what to cook this morning, I decided on these yummy Southwestern frittata cups.
These are a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack. The fish is high-protein and low-carb, and your veggies are built right in!
Tip: I only used a tiny bit of the ground turkey for this Southwestern frittata cups recipe, but I will save the rest and use it on top of salads or burritos later in the week.
I prefer spiralized sweet potatoes rather than chopped ones for this recipe. Spiralized potatoes saute faster because they are so thin and require less chopping.
Filling Southwestern Frittata Cups Recipe
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- ½ medium sweet potato spiralized or chopped small
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- ½ medium white onion chopped
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese low-fat
- ½ cup yogurt Jalapeno Greek
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium eggs
- ¾ cup egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray muffin pan with coconut oil spray or cooking spray.
- Brown ground turkey meat until it is fully cooked. Add taco seasoning to cooked ground turkey. Then set it aside.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet. Add sweet potato, onion, and mushrooms. Sprinkle with cumin. Saute for approximately 8 minutes until the potato softens and the onions turn clear.
- Divide the cooked veggie mixture among the 12 muffin tins. Add a spoonful of ground turkey to each muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and yogurt. Pour egg mixture over the veggies into the 12 muffin tins. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.