Who doesn’t love pasta? But have you ever tried combining pasta with something other than beef or pork mince? I suggest seafood mince. I love fettuccine with squid, but you can use whatever seafood you like. Alternatively, you can mince together different kinds of seafood like shrimps, cuttlefish and crab meat.
Fettuccine with squid for (non) seafood enthusiasts
- 100 ml olive oil
- 500 gr fettuccine
- 1 white onion
- 1 garlic bulb - finely chop 2 cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tomato - fresh and diced or 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- 15 gr celery - diced
- 8 basil - fresh leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ground allspice (also called pimento or Jamaican Pepper) - 1 piece
- ⅓ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 500 ml boiling water
- Wash the squid, cut into slices and mince in a blender.
- You can either blend in the vegetables or chop them and mix them in the pot later.
- Put your pot on high heat and sauté the squid mince for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, tomato paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the ouzo and the diced tomatoes and stir for 5 more minutes.
- Then add hot water and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the fettuccine as the package suggests.
- When serving, sprinkle some fresh basil with pecorino or a spicy gruyère.