Not surprisingly, my biggest meal challenge is making breakfast. I cut eggs out (and they will be the first thing I reintroduce, believe me), and all the pork sausage I had contained added sugar, so I’ve been eating a lot of leftovers. But what about when I don’t have pieces because I’m cooking for one? Or when I want breakfast food? Cue this rosemary breakfast sausage!
As much as I wanted some maple breakfast sausage, maple syrup is a no-no for now. To create a savoury sausage that was still “breakfasty”, I used rosemary and some other herbs and spices for these rosemary breakfast sausage patties.
As you can see, I’ve been enjoying these this week with some sweet potato “hash browns” – I can’t call them that because I’m too impatient to let them become a hashbrown patty, but they’re still super tasty.
Full-Bodied Rosemary Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork (minced pork)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary - cracked
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash salt
- Mix all ingredients well into the pork with your hands.
- Make 8 small patties of 2 ounces each or 4 4-ounce patties.
- To cook immediately, melt a small amount of fat in a pan over medium-high. Cook on each side 3 to 4 minutes and serve. Otherwise, store in the fridge for up to 5 days.