This chipotle pork meatball soup is a delicious combination of meatballs and rice cooked in chipotle spice and fried ginger flakes. Here I have used ground chipotle, but if you like it spicier, you can also add chipotle peppers. As the name describes, here, the meatballs are baked rather than cooked in a pan, which will make the meatballs crispy and low fat.
Baked Chipotle Pork Meatball SoupPrint Recipe
- Meatball Ingredients
- 1/4 pound of ground pork tenderloin
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- Salt as needed
- 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of dry pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle
- Soup Ingredients
- 1/2 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1-inch ginger (peeled and thinly sliced in flakes)
- 1/4 cup of boiled rice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of tomato puree
- Salt as needed
- Black pepper as needed
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 rosemary stalk
- 1/2 teaspoon of white cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl and mix well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and when the mixture is smooth. Make small bite-sized balls.
- Spray little oil on an ovenproof dish, then place all of the meatballs in the dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are fully cooked.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a saucepan and add onion, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Then, add ginger flakes, cumin and oregano and again sauté for few more seconds or until the ginger is roasted and aromatic.
- Add tomato puree, cover the lid and simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the oil is released at the edges of the pan.
- Add the baked meatballs, boiled rice, chicken stock, black pepper, rosemary stalk, vinegar and soy sauce to the tomato mixture and cook for further 10 minutes at high heat or until the soup is reduced and slightly thick.
- Remove from heat and top with chopped cilantro before serving.