Baked beans traditionally contain white beans, which are cooked at a low temperature for a long time. The classic baked beans with ground pork recipe was sweetened with maple syrup by Native Americans, a tradition that is still preserved in some recipes. Still, some English settlers changed the sweetener with brown sugar since the seventeenth century.
Baked beans have their origins in Native American cuisine, and the dish is made from different types of beans. Today, baked beans are commonly served in the United States, along with grilled dishes and other dishes.
Today the recipe for baked beans can be made in many ways, but the best is where the beans are slow-cooked, like in this baked beans with ground pork recipe.
Baked Beans and Ground Pork RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 pound of beans
- 1/4 pound of ground pork
- 1 onion
- 1/3 cup of molasses
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 1 tablespoon of dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- Wash the beans and place them in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let it soften overnight.
- Put half of the meat in a saucepan with a thick bottom.
- Drain the beans and place half the amount over the meat.
- Peel the onion and finely chop it. Place it on top of the beans.
- Add the rest of the beans with the rest of the meat of pork or bacon.
- In a bowl, combine the molasses, brown sugar, and mustard with 3 cups of boiling water. Mix everything to dissolve the sugar and mustard.
- Pour this mixture over the beans.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook the beans for 4 hours. Check the grains constantly and add more salt if needed.
- Cook for another 2 hours, removing the cover after the first hour. The berries should be tender.
- The ripe beans are ready and can be served immediately. It tastes the same fresh if it is heated and consumed the next day.