Today’s Hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos recipe is one that I am proud of, especially on the days I head out to work. It’s an easy chicken recipe: all you have to do is toss chicken and seasoning into the crock pot around noon for dinner to be ready when everyone’s home from work.
We shared the Hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos recipe for our homemade taco seasoning yesterday, and this is the recipe we use most often. That recipe works great for beef tacos too, but this is so simple. It’s our go-to for taco night.
It doesn’t get any better than dinner that makes itself, right? So put this Hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos on your must-try list – you won’t be sorry!
Hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
For this Hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos recipe, I will also share our homemade taco seasoning. This recipe works great for beef tacos as well.
- 2 pounds ground chicken (minced chicken) - chicken breast, boneless, skinless (because we love leftovers)
- 1 large pack corn tortillas
- 1 small pack cheddar cheese - shredded (check the ingredients for allergens if you’re not shredding it yourself)
- 1 small head Romaine lettuce - shredded
- 1 cups white onion - diced
- 2 cups tomatoes - diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes - crushed
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Add 2 pounds chicken breast and spices to the crock pot, and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. You won’t need to add water. Just check that the chicken is done and doesn’t cook longer than it needs to. It will be done when it shreds easily with a fork.
- Close to mealtime, prep your toppings.
- Serve on corn tortillas. Pairs great with a side of rice and/or corn.
This makes for great leftovers, too, so you can always make them up ahead, and it works well, too, for those nights after work. It would also be perfect to prep ahead of time for a party or just a day you know will be busy. You can also serve it on flour tortillas for those who don’t have gluten allergies!
Calories: 279kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 24gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 566mgPotassium: 1033mgFiber: 6gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 7786IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 89mgIron: 3mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.