Moussaka is one such dish that, in its traditional Greek form, contains both milk and meat. If you are lactose intolerant, this dairy-free chicken moussaka that tastes just the same sans the harmful allergen you can’t have! Plus, it’s so easy to make–you’ll enjoy preparing this for sure!
Dairy-Free Chicken MoussakaPrint Recipe
- Meat Ingredients
- 1/2 kilogram of minced chicken
- 2 medium brown onions
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 small zucchinis, finely diced
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon of dried mint
- 5 large peeled, chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml of broth
- Salt and pepper
- 3-4 large eggplants or aubergines
- Olive oil
- Fine salt
- White Sauce Ingredients
- 50 grams of milk-free margarine or 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 tablespoons of wheat flour
- 1/2 litre of oat milk
- 5 eggs
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Wash and slice the eggplants into 2-centimetre thick slices. Put the eggplants on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and a tiny bit of salt. Now bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, turning over the slices every 15 minutes.
- Now while the eggplant slices are in the oven, prepare the meat and white sauces.
Meat Sauce Instructions
- First, brown off the minced meat nicely and add onions. Continue stirring till the onions are bright golden.
- Then add the finely diced carrots and zucchinis, stirring for a minute or two.
- Finally, add spices and crushed garlic followed by chopped tomatoes and broth. Leave the meat sauce to simmer for at least half an hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.
White Sauce Instructions
- In a casserole with a thick bottom, melt the margarine/olive oil at low heat.
- Add the flour and whisk together. As the margarine/oil turns into a past, begin whisking in small quantities of oat milk, all the time making sure that no lumps remain.
- When all the oat milk has been added, heat slowly, stirring until the mixture thickens and begins to bobble. Take off the heat and wait for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce temperature fall below 80 degrees.
- Now whisk in the eggs, adding and whisking in vigorously one at a time. Add salt, white pepper and nutmeg for flavour.
- Take a large baking tray and place the baked eggplant slices carefully on the bottom in two layers. Add the meat sauce, distributing it equally over the eggplant.
- Finally, pour the white sauce owe and drizzle with sesame seed on top. Bake in the oven for about 45 to 60 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius until the top is nice and golden brown.