I have always loved Hamburger Helper, but I also knew that it was an unhealthy, overly salty, and full of too many harmful additives type of dish. So I searched for a healthier version for some time and finally found it in this Beef Chili Cheese.
This Beef Chili Cheese recipe doesn’t use a lot of spices but gets most of its taste from cheese, natural garlic and onions, and a few additional spices. It adds a heaping tablespoon of chilli powder, so you will still get some spicy flavour. Cost-wise, it admittedly is the same as Hamburger Helper, but the health benefits may be worth it. It does also taste better than leftovers! It is just as quick to make (you only have to chop the onion and garlic).
Rich Beef Chili CheesePrint Recipe
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Chop garlic and onion.
- Brown ground beef, garlic, and onion in olive oil in a large pot. In a separate pot, cook pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Drain fat from ground beef; add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, and cook until melted thoroughly.