I love Nigerian Meat pie, especially the ones sold at Mr Biggs fast food outlets. The pastries are flaky, crunchy and tasty. However, the fillings are creamy and, in my opinion, not very tasty.
Anyway, this mince meat pie recipe I am about to share with you guys is delicious.
Nigerian Meat PiePrint Recipe
- Filling Ingredients
- 500 grams of minced beef
- 1 medium onion
- 2 red chillies
- 1 green chilli
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 3 Knorr cubes
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- 1 cooking spoon of vegetable oil
- Dough Ingredients
- 4 cups of self-raising flour
- 250 grams of margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup of cold water
- Season meat with 1 teaspoon of salt and black pepper and 1 Knorr cube. Set aside
- Peel potatoes and carrots and cut them into cubes.
- Slice the chillies into quarters and dice the onions, and set aside.
- In a frying pan, pour oil, and when it is hot, add the diced onions to fry for a minute, then the seasoned minced meat. Fry till the pink coloured meat turns brown.
- When it turns brown, add the diced peppers and carrots.
- Stir for up to 8 minutes until the carrots and pepper are well incorporated.
- Now add the seasonings – curry and thyme powder and the remaining 2 cubes of Knorr.
- Continue stirring to prevent the meat from burning.
- Now add the diced potatoes and 1 1/2 cup of water to boil the potatoes soft.
- It will take up to 8 minutes for the potatoes to soften up.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mix the 2 tablespoons of flour with running tap water.
- Add this mixed flour into the minced beef to get the creamy look for the meat pie filling.
- Add flour into a mixing bowl, then add the nutmeg and pinch of salt. Stir together.
- Now add the margarine to the flour and mix it thoroughly till it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the 2 eggs and pour into the flour while mixing it with your hands. The flour would not have turned into a dough so,
- Pour the cold water into the flour while still mixing it and once the dough begins to form, stop mixing.
- The key to a pastry dough is not to overwork it.
- Wrap in a cling film and put it in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to rest.
- While waiting for the dough, whisk one egg. This will be used as a slurry and to glaze the dough.
- Tear out a big chunk of the dough on a floured surface and use a rolling pin to flatten it.
- Use the cover of a pot to cut out a large circle of dough.
- Use a brush to rub the whisked egg on the edges of the cutout dough.
- Now add the minced meat to the dough using a spoon.
- Cover it and use your fingers to press down the edges, then use a fork to further press down the edges
- When you use up all the dough, now brush the pie surfaces with the whisked egg to give them a shiny look.
- Don’t forget to use the fork to pierce the dough. This is to prevent it from cracking.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes.