During my visit to Donnafugata, Italy, I was invited to a dinner. So many dishes were served, among them are some lovely and delicious Sicilian meatballs. This is not Scandinavian meatballs, trust me! Those were way better with all those Mediterranean flavours.
Lip-Smacking Sicilian Meatballs
- 1 kilogram ground beef (minced beef)
- 250 grams ground pork (minced pork)
- 5 medium eggs
- ½ glass milk
- 1 clove garlic - thinly chopped
- 150 grams breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 kilogram Neapolitan Sauce or Pasta sauce Southern Hemisphere (Tomato Sauce in North America) - sweet
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium carrot
- Combine the meatball with a wet hand (they have to be round and about 1 to 2 centimetres in diameter). Pan-fry the meatballs until they are golden brown.
- Make the soffritto in a pan (a mixture of finely chopped onions, celery, and carrot sauteed in olive oil).
- When the soffrito is well melted, add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper and cook slightly until you have a tasty and silky tomato sauce.
- Put the meatball in the sauce and cook everything together for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then turn off the fire and eat (tastier if you eat them directly from the pan dipping a good piece of bread in the sauce).