This Kefta and Egg Tagine is a dish that I cook often. This tagine is delicious and full of flavour. Unfortunately, I do not have a tagine dish at home, so I use a regular pot with a lid; just finish cooking it in the oven if you have one.
Kefta and Egg TaginePrint Recipe
- 1 tin of peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 6 potatoes
- 5 eggs
- 500 grams of beef mince
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of Raz el hanout
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of ground red chillies
- 3 tablespoons of fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt pepper
- In a bowl, mix the beef mince, 1 egg, 1/4 chopped onion, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1 red chilli, 1 fresh coriander and 1 of Raz el hanout. Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Chop the rest of the onion, and brown it with some olive oil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon of Raz el hanout, 1 of cumin and 1 of red chilli, stir well and the 2nd garlic clove.
- Add the tomato puree and stir. Pour the peeled tomatoes, add some salt and pepper, stir and leave to simmer.
- Peel the potatoes, cut them in half if they are small into 4 pieces if they are big. Add them to the tomatoes. Stir and add water to cover them. Stir, cover with the lid and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make balls from the mince and add with the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of fresh coriander; leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the 4 eggs, pouring them gently onto the dish. Cover and allow the tagine to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh coriander on the top and some bread.