I love Moroccan cuisine and I also love spices. I usually cook tajine with eggs and meatballs with ground beef, chicken or lamb. You can add more ingredients if you want, such as carrots and peppers or more cayenne in case you prefer your meal extra spicy. If you can find Moroccan bread, it will absolutely uplift this dish, but pita bread is also great and more common in grocery stores.
Tajine With Eggs And Meatballs Served With Pita Bread
Tajine with eggs and meatballs made from ground beef is one of my favourite dishes. Moroccan bread would unquestionably elevate this recipe but you may also accompany it with pita bread which is more commonly found in grocery stores.
- 5 medium tomato - cut into cubes
- 3 medium red onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1.4 pound ground beef - (minced beef)
- 1 teaspoon cumin - powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper - black, ground
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric - powder
- 4 tablespoons parsley - fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (coriander) - finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon - powder
- 6 medium eggs
- 6 medium pita bread - or Moroccan bread
- Blend the minced beef with one-third of the chopped onions.
- Add cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper, 2 tablespoons of parsley and the coriander. Work the mixture with wet hands so it doesn't stick to your fingers. Shape it into small meatballs.
- In a pan, sauté them briefly in olive oil, and place them in a tajine once browned.
- Then sauté the rest of the onions but make sure they don't become brown.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and let them simmer, half covered.
- Add the garlic and the rest of the parsley. Season with the remaining cumin and cinnamon, and add extra cayenne and salt if you like. Mix well and let the sauce simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and let them cook together for about 10 minutes.
- Before you serve, transfer to a clay dish, crack the eggs into it and place the plate in a preheated oven at 240°C.
- Bake until the egg whites are set, and serve immediately with warm Arabic pita bread cut into triangles.
Calories: 512kcalCarbohydrates: 42gProtein: 34gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 232mgSodium: 636mgPotassium: 829mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1397IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 121mgIron: 5mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.