Lesson learned last winter: always keep a pound of ground beef in the freezer for a quick batch of skillet chili. Throwing together spices, meat, tomatoes, and other goodies makes for a delicious meal without requiring much prep work or time. I consider my chili “not an exact science”, which has proven to be difficult as I try and write out the recipe for beef, bacon and kale.
This recipe for beef, bacon and kale is a very simple dish you can prepare when you got loads of ground beef and kale at home. Adding bacon just takes the dish to another level.
Hearty Beef, Bacon and Kale Recipe
If you love bacon, this beef, bacon and kale recipe will be your next favourite. This dish is super simple and tasty-perfect when you want a healthy and satisfying meal.
- 5 slices bacon - chopped
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - thawed
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 small red onion - diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 handfuls kale - chopped
- ¼ cup green onions (scallions or green shallots) - chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until browned.
- Add chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and spices to the skillet, stirring thoroughly.
- Once the ground beef has been browned, add the can of fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Cook for 6 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Add handfuls of kale, and place the lid on the skillet for 2 minutes to soften.
- Stir the entire mixture, incorporating the kale.
- Remove from heat and serve into bowls.
- Top with chopped green onion, guacamole, chopped avocado, or anything else that suits your fancy.
Calories: 358kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 22gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 857mgPotassium: 514mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 3058IUVitamin C: 27mgCalcium: 116mgIron: 4mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.