While this Ground Beef Casserole with Jalapeno recipe does use a large number of ingredients, it’s not overly complicated and is well worth the effort.
Ground Beef Casserole with Jalapeno
- 1 ½ pound ground beef (minced beef) - lean
- 1 medium yellow onion - chopped
- 1 medium red pepper (red capsicum) - chopped
- 1 medium green pepper (green capsicum) - chopped
- 10 ounces corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 14.5 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup Neapolitan Sauce or Pasta sauce Southern Hemisphere (Tomato Sauce in North America)
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - grated
- 4 ounces jalapenos - drained and sliced
- ½ cup all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- ½ stick butter - unsalted
- 3 medium eggs - beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- ½ cup sugar (white sugar)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef, bell peppers, garlic and onion and cook until beef is barely browned. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until beef is completely cooked.
- Remove from heat and drain excess juices. Stir through the cheese, olives, corn, chili beans and tomato sauce. Pour into a casserole dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 420°F or 215°C. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Mix in the cornmeal and whisk in the eggs, melted butter and buttermilk. Fold through the 4 sliced Jalapenos and the cheddar cheese.
- Spread the batter over the beef mix in the casserole dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, making sure the cornbread is completely cooked before removing it. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.