Vietnamese food is one of my favorite foods. It’s full of soulful broths, crispy pork, fresh cilantro, Sriracha, bean sprouts….all things good in life. That’s why this Sriracha Burger and Sweet Potato Fries makes my heart sing. Pair this Sriracha Burger with some crispy sweet potato fries, and you have one hopping night. The magical thing? It’s all insanely easy. Let’s get started.
Gather your ingredients. One little bunch of cilantro, finely slivered red onion, a bun (these are the gluten-free ones I like), a little mayo, a little sriracha, ground beef, some salt, pepper, sweet potatoes, spices and coconut oil.
First, get your sweet potato fries in the oven; they take a while and can cook while you’re making the patties of your Sriracha Burger. Lay a baking sheet down with parchment and heat your oven to 450°F. Peel and cut your sweet potatoes, then toss in a bowl with coconut oil, paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Heat your cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat. For 1 pound of ground beef, you can make 4 burgers. Quarter your ground beef into 4 patties and gently shape each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty—season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Slap them on the sizzling skillet and cook to your liking (I like medium, so that’s about 4-5 minutes on the first side, 4 minutes on the second). Put cooked patties on a plate.
Stir up your mayo and Sriracha to creamy perfection and toast your buns (this is a crucial part). Now start layering! Grab your bun, slather on the spicy sriracha mayo, add your Sriracha Burger, cilantro, red onion and top bun. There you have it, ladies and gentlemen! The sriracha burger in all her glory!
Easy Sriracha Burger and Sweet Potato FriesPrint Recipe
- TO MAKE THE SRIRACHA BURGER:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Small glug of olive oil for cooking the burger
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns ( I like these gluten-free ones)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (or 2 or 3 tablespoons if you want some extra heat)
- 1/3 cup cilantro sprigs
- 1/4 red onion, slivered
- TO MAKE THE SWEET POTATO FRIES:
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Let’s first make the Sweet Potato Fries. Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Peel your sweet potatoes and slice them into thin pieces.
3. Toss them in the mixture of melted coconut oil, all spices, salt and pepper.
4. Bake the fries for 15 minutes, then flip them and bake 10 to 15 more minutes until they’re lightly browned.
5. Then, let’s make the Sriracha Burger. Divide sirloin mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty (about 3 1/2 inches in diameter). Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
6. Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with olive oil. Add patties to pan; grill 3-4 minutes. Turn the patties carefully. Grill for 4 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove patties from the pan.
7. Cut buns sides down, and add to the pan. Grill for 1 minute or until toasted.
8. Mix mayonnaise and Sriracha in a small bowl, stirring until completely combined. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture on the bottom half of each bun; top each with 1 patty, add some cilantro sprigs, your red onion, top bun and serve.