Last week my friend had a craving. He wanted venison lettuce wraps. There was one problem; I’d never eaten a lettuce wrap, let alone cooked them. So… Time for some research. I found one recipe that sounded pretty good. I may change a few things up next time, like using ground chicken just for experimentation, but in the meantime, here you go!
Alternative Venison Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 garlic - 2 minced gloves
- 8 mushrooms - diced
- 2 green onions (scallions or green shallots) - chopped
- 3 tsp chili sauce (chilli sauce in British English)
- 1 iceberg lettuce - 5-6 leaves
- 0.6 cup vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup boiling water
- Mince or chop 2 cloves of garlic, dice 8 mushrooms, chop up 2 green onions and set all the veggies aside.
- In a pan, add half the oil and brown the ground venison; Stir in the minced garlic and half tsp ginger.
- While the meat and garlic are cooked, fry the noodles in a pan with oil for around 10 minutes.
- After they cool, crush them down with your fingers.
- Add diced mushrooms to the frying pan once the meat is no longer pink. Cook the mushrooms until they are soft, around 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and pat dry about six lettuce leaves. Cut off the stems and slice the large leaves in half if needed. Set them aside.
- Once the mushrooms are done, add 3 tsp chili sauce and stir.
- It will be pretty dry at this point. Add some water to make the meat a bit saucy.
- Once the meat is nice and saucy, stir in the sliced green onions and remove the skillet from heat.
- Spoon 2 – 3 tbsp meat over each piece of lettuce. Top the meat with the fried rice noodles.
- Roll ‘em up, and there you are!