Every year my friend brings home pound after pound of venison. So what should you do when you don’t really like the taste of venison? Turn it into something you love, like this Venison Chili Recipe.
This venison recipe is amazingly easy to make and tastes delicious. Since the chili is made in a slow cooker, just toss everything in, and dinner is ready 6 hours later.
Delicious Venison Chili
- 1 pound Italian sausage (American name for Pork Sausage with Fennel Seeds) - ground
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium white onion - chopped
- 1 can tomato
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can green chilis (green chilli in British English) - drained
- 1 can Neapolitan Sauce or Pasta sauce Southern Hemisphere (Tomato Sauce in North America)
- 6 ounce beer - dark beer
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cook venison and sausage in olive oil over medium heat until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until tender. Drain. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a slow cooker, add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Add meat mixture and combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 2 hours. After cooking, skim off fat. Serve topped with cheddar cheese (or sour cream).
- Any kind of beer will do, but dark beer is best for this recipe. If you don’t want to add beer, you may substitute chicken broth.
- If you want a little more heat, use hot Italian sausage or add an additional 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper.