Every year my friend brings home pound after pound of venison. So what should you do when you don’t really like the taste of venison? Turn it into something you love, like this Venison Chili Recipe.
This venison recipe is amazingly easy to make and tastes delicious. Since the chili is made in a slow cooker, just toss everything in, and dinner is ready 6 hours later.
Delicious Venison ChiliPrint Recipe
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can mild chili beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can green chilis, drained
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- 6-ounce dark beer
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Cook venison and sausage in olive oil over medium heat until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until tender. Drain. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a slow cooker, add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Add meat mixture and combine.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 2 hours. After cooking, skim off fat. Serve topped with cheddar cheese (or sour cream).
Any kind of beer will do, but dark beer is best for this recipe. If you don’t want to add beer, you may substitute chicken broth.
If you want a little more heat, use hot Italian sausage or add an additional 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper.