I often do not know what to do for dinner if I fail to “meal prep” over the weekend. However, this weekend I did not fail. I have whipped up an old favourite of mine – Lasagna Roll-ups. Healthy, clean, and oh so tasty. I love making the “roll-ups” because it makes figuring out a serving size super easy, and I feel pretty satisfied. I often made this while I was in college – my friends always loved it too.
Savoury Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 1 dash Italian herbs (oregano, rosemary, thyme, and sometimes basil and parsley)
- 1 ½ cups Ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese - shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes - crushed
- 15 pieces lasagna sheets
- 1 teaspoon garlic - crushed
- 1 ½ cup spinach - chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms
- 1 container Marinara sauce (tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and onions – pasta sauce in southern hemisphere for Italian seafood dish)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil - or a little more if you want – I like to cook with little oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the box. While cooking, chop up the shallots and put them in a pan with the olive oil and crushed garlic on medium flame. Once the shallot is caramelized, add the ground meat, season with Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt (to taste) – cook thoroughly.
- While the pasta and meat continue to cook, mix the ricotta cheese, chopped spinach, and mushrooms together.
- Once the pasta and meat are done cooking, lay out a lasagna noodle and spread the cheese mixture evenly with a spoon (about a spoonful and a half should do). Then add some ground meat (roughly 1 spoonful), roll it up, and place it into a baking dish. Once all the noodles are rolled up, and the dish is full, spread some red pasta sauce over the roll-ups and top off with shredded mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Bake the dish for 20 minutes and enjoy!