If I had to choose one dessert to eat for the rest of my life, it would definitely be cupcakes. I don’t even think it’s the taste that gets me, but the cute way they’re put together and so easily portable. But in all honesty, I prefer savoury over sweet any day, so I came up with a genius combination of your traditional meatloaf and potatoes–Healthy Turkey Meatloaf Cupcakes With Garlic Mashed Potatoes Frosting.
This method allows for a quick and easy “grab-and-go” meal, but it also aids in that ever so dreadful portion control issue. This dish is perfect for monitoring your food intake as you can easily count how many meatloaf cupcakes you’ve had.
Healthy Turkey Meatloaf Cupcakes With Garlic Mashed Potatoes Frosting
- 20 ounces ground turkey (minced turkey)
- ¼ cup quinoa - cooked
- 1 medium egg
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Garlic Mashed Potatoes Ingredients
- 14 small potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ¼ cup green onions (scallions or green shallots) - chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- First, cook your quinoa according to the package directions. While quinoa is cooking, saute your onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- Next, place all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Combine (with your hands!) until well blended but not overmixed. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty on this one!
- Spray your muffin tins with olive oil spray, and fill each one with the mixture (should evenly divide into all 12 cups without filling to the top).
- Whisk together the ingredients for the glaze.
- Evenly distribute glaze on top of each muffin cup.
- Bake in a 350-degree Fahrenheit heated oven for 25 minutes.
- While your meatloaf cupcakes are baking, prepare the mashed potatoes.
Mashed Potatoes Instructions
- Slice potatoes in half and boil for approximately 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, and mash with a potato masher until there are no chunks remaining.
- Add butter, sour cream, garlic, salt, and pepper, and chop the green onions.
- Add green onions to the potatoes, and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Now it’s time to assemble your cupcakes! sThere will be some water in the bottom of each muffin, so remove them from the tins and place them on a plate or platter.
- Put a little less than 1/4 cup of potato mixture on top of each muffin. You can form these into balls with your hands and shape them over the meatloaf muffins.