This Stuffed Turkey with a combination of minced beef and turkey is perfect for this coming Christmas. There are plenty of traditions in Greece about Christmas. Today, of course, the sweets are more likely to come from a patisserie; the pastry cooks work overtime at Christmas to keep up with demand. Turkey, too, has made its appearance on the Greek Christmas Table, ousting the sucking pig, which was traditionally bred and raised by the household specifically to be roasted and eaten on Christmas Day. This Stuffed Turkey may be the main dish, but there will be plenty of typically Greek mezedes to begin with and sweets and other delicacies to round off the meal.
Easy Stuffed TurkeyPrint Recipe
- 1 turkey, about 3 kilos
- 300 grams of minced beef and turkey
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 1/3 cup of pine nuts
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 1/2 cups of butter
- 3 lemons
- 2 kilos potatoes
1. Clean the turkey and wash it well. Rub it all over inside and out with lemon juice.
2. Prepare the stuffing. Put the onion with the minced beef and turkey into a frying pan and cook until all its juice has been absorbed.
3. Then add half the butter to brown the minced beef and turkey. Add salt and pepper, pine nuts and rice. Stir for a while, then add the wine. Once this has been absorbed, add half a cup of water and allow this mixture to cook for a while.
4. Stuff the turkey with the meat mixture through the stomach cavity and hollow part of the neck.
5. Then sew up these openings with a needle and thread. Spread the turkey with butter after salting it and peppering it.
6. Wash and cut the potatoes into slices. Salt and pepper them and array them around the turkey in the baking tin. Put the rest of the butter and the juice of the lemons. Add 2 cups of water and roast for 3 hours very slowly.