Who doesn’t love meatballs? We’ve prepared a tasty and easy monkey meatball recipe with a sticky sweet-and-sour sauce. It’s perfect for a lunchbox, and the extra meatballs freeze well for easy preparation in the coming weeks.
These monkey meatballs go well with almost anything – pasta, rice, mashed potatoes or even salad. They make a hearty, delicious meal with or without sauce. To make meatballs even more fun to eat, assemble meatball halves and quarters into a cute monkey! Use cheese slices and nori to create a monkey’s face and add broccoli, corn, grapes and golden kiwi slices to complete the meal. Here’s a recipe for sweet sticky monkey meatballs that will definitely have the little ones asking for more!
Delicious Monkey Meatballs in Sweet SaucePrint Recipe
- FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 120 grams minced beef
- 100 grams minced pork
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- Sea salt, pepper and dried parsley to taste
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- FOR THE STICKY RED SAUCE (COATS 10 MEATBALLS):
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons corn flour dissolved in ½ cup of water
1. Wash the minced meat in a sieve, drain and marinate with salt, pepper and dried parsley.
2. Mix in the breadcrumbs and add the beaten egg, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture resembles dough and is not sticky. Add plain flour or breadcrumbs to reduce stickiness.
3. Set aside the meat mixture for at least 1 hour.
4. Shape into small round balls and set aside.
5. Heat the pan with butter and oil, and until the oil bubbles lightly, add meatballs one at a time and brown them on medium flame.
6. Remove the meatballs and drain them on kitchen napkins.
7. You can opt to bake the meatballs in the oven too. Brush a mixture of oil and melted butter on the meatballs and bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
8. To make the sticky red sauce, add ketchup and sugar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil on low fire.
9. Stir in corn flour mixture until it thickens and becomes sticky.
10. Add meatballs to sauce and coat liberally.
- You can shape the meatballs into patties for a faster cooking time.
- Alternatively, meatballs can be deep-fried.
- You can freeze the meatballs for up to 2 months.
- The sourness of different brands of ketchup varies; do adjust sugar amounts according to taste and preference.