Nothing beats the rich aroma and flavor of roasted squash! I do like to roast the squash in halves and then scoop it out for soups. But this Roasted Butternut Squash with Ground Turkey Pasta recipe with butternut squash, turkey and spaghetti calls for cubes, which is so yummy because each side of the cube has the opportunity to brown and caramelize. Roasting cubed butternut squash is also an easy way to prepare it as a simple side dish for a fall dinner.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Ground Turkey Pasta
- 8 ounce spaghetti - dry measure, cooked to package directions whole-grain pasta preferred
- 4 cups butternut squash - peeled, cubed and roasted
- 1 pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- ½ medium white onion - chopped
- ½ medium red pepper (red capsicum) - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning - divided
- 1 pinch salt - to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper - to taste
- ⅔ cup tomatoes - finely chopped include liquid if using canned
- ½ cup chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon) - chicken or vegetable
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese - shredded
- 1 small bunch parsley - flat-leaf, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta to package directions for al dente, drain and set aside.
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into approximately 3/4 inch dice. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, plus salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes, occasionally turning, until squash is lightly browned and tender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large, deep skillet and cook turkey, breaking up into small chunks. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper. Cook and stir until turkey is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes and broth, and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Add cooked spaghetti and the roasted squash, toss. Add more broth if needed, so it’s not too dry, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley to serve.