I recently shared a recipe for dan dan noodles, and I bet you want a hot and spicy version, so here it is! This Spicy Dan Dan Noodles recipe takes the Asian dish to another level with its spiciness that you can modify according to your preference.
Spicy Dan Dan NoodlesPrint Recipe
- Meat Ingredients
- 150 grams of pork mince
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 100 grams of preserved vegetable, chopped
- 1 whole bird's eye chilli, scored (optional)
- Sauce Ingredients
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine and crushed
- 1-centimetre chunk of ginger, pounded or grated
- 2 tablespoons of chilli bean paste
- 1 tablespoon of chilli oil chunks and oil
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese black vinegar or half balsamic and half white wine or rice wine
- 1 teaspoon of tahini or Chinese sesame paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground Sichuan peppercorn
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock, best unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- Dash(es) of white pepper
- Chopped fresh coriander for garnish
- Chopped spring onion for garnish
- Mix the mince with the sesame oil, soy sauce, and crushed garlic. Get a small saucepan, put it on medium heat with a teaspoon of oil. After about 5 minutes, add the minced meat, the preserved vegetable, and chilli. Let fry, stirring occasionally. You want some crispness to the meat for added flavour for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Get the stock to a simmer while the meat is browning. Keep it on low heat, so it’s ready. Simultaneously, in another medium pot, boil some water to ready yourself for noodle blanching. While waiting for all the boiling and simmering to happen, combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl, except the garnish, and then divide it between the bowls you plan to eat out of. Make sure your table is set, and hungry people are sitting there waiting. Get ready to assemble your dish!
- Gently separate fresh noodles before gently sliding them into the hot water. If using dried noodles, don’t separate them. They will snap; just plop it in whole. Use a chopstick to agitate the noodles, so they stay separate while blanching gently. Follow packet instructions. And yes, be gentle.
- While noodles are blanching, divide the hot stock between the bowls and combine. Your noodles are probably done now; drain and divide between bowls. Spoon minced meat over the noodles. Sprinkle your chosen garnish. Add more chilli oil if you like. Serve hot.