One of our ultimate favourite recipes at home is Scotch Eggs. Although I’ve always loved hardboiled eggs, I never knew about this lovely treat until I met the hubby. He was a big fan and taught me how to make them. I’ve tweaked the original recipe he used, mainly to make it a bit healthier, but the taste is still outstanding.
We like to make them ahead and take them on picnics or trips as they keep and travel well. Plus, they are pretty filling. I’m sure these eggs will become a favourite in your household as well.
Crispy Scotch Eggs
- 12 medium eggs - hardboiled
- 2 pounds ground pork (minced pork)
- ½ cup all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 4 medium eggs - beaten
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the hardboiled eggs and set them aside.
- Mix the sausage and onions together well. Divide into 12 equal portions.
- Roll each egg in the flour and then wrap with sausage mixture.
- Dip the wrapped eggs into the beaten eggs and then roll in bread crumbs.
- Place each wrapped egg on the baking sheet and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the breadcrumbs are browned, and the sausage is cooked thoroughly.
- The traditional method of cooking scotch eggs is to fry them. However, I decided to bake them to cut down on the grease as the sausage provides enough on its own. You can also further spice them up with sage, garlic or other add-ins to make it your own. Enjoy!