My meat and cheese lasagna is three lovely layers of sauce, meat, and cheese cradled between thin Paleo wraps. The wraps hold up the layers without melting and only add a slight coconut taste. I added shredded zucchini instead of ricotta or peas to cut dairy and the little green guys’ starchy. Plus, I love zucchini, and it keeps the meat moist. This is especially helpful if you use leaner ground meats like turkey or lean beef.
Marvelous Wheat-Free Meat and Cheese LasagnaPrint Recipe
- 2 scallions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, shredded with a cheese grater
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 cups of Marinara Sauce
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Julian's Bakery Paleo Wraps
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and ready a square deep baking dish.
- Prepare all your scallions, garlic, and zucchini, then set them aside.
- Heat a large frying pan with extra virgin olive oil, add scallions and garlic, then saute on medium-low heat until transparent or slightly browned but not burnt.
- Then add both your meats and with a wooden spoon, break up the meat so that it’s in small pieces and broken up.
- Mix well with the scallions and garlic, and add salt, garlic and onion powder.
- When it’s almost cooked through, add the shredded zucchini and continue to cook on medium-high heat until the meat browns and most of the juices evaporate. Don’t worry if all of it doesn’t; no big deal.
- When the meat is finished, spoon 2 scoops of marinara sauce into the meat and mix well, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Now set up your layering station. Get the deep dish baking pan, shredded mozzarella, marinara sauce, three Paleo Wraps, and grated Parmesan and line them up.
- Put 2 spoons of sauce on the bottom of your baking dish and spread evenly to coat the bottom of the dish, then generously sprinkle Parmesan cheese.
- Place a Paleo Wrap on the sauce and press down. Then scoop a generous amount of meat mixture on top of the wrap layer and spread evenly to cover the whole wrap.
- Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese, then generously spread shredded mozzarella. Then spoon a little more sauce, about 1/2 ladles worth in the centre of four corners, and smear it around.
- Lay down another Paleo wrap and press down firmly. Repeat the steps above two more times until all ingredients are gone.
- The top should have nice meat, sauce, and cheeses.
- Bake the prepared lasagna for 20 to 25 minutes or until the sauce bubbles and cheese melts.
- Remove the lasagna oven and let cool for about 5 to 10 minutes, so it sets. Then, slice out a square and serve with a thin-edged spatula or pie cutter!