My favourite thing about Caramelized Onion Chicken Rollatini is that it’s a one-dish deal. By cooking your protein and veggies together, you’re saving on time while giving yourself a perfectly balanced, totally healthy meal. This dinner is also seriously low-carb because I’m trying to get back on that train again.
Easy Caramelized Onion Chicken Rollatini
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 5 cups yellow onion - diced
- 2 medium eggplants - sliced thinly, lengthwise
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup tomato - grape, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - extra virgin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil - extra virgin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic - crushed
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon black peppercorns - coarse
- In a skillet, saute onions in a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until browned for 20 minutes. When ready, transfer the onions to a paper towel-lined bowl to cool.
- While onions cook, dice grape tomatoes. Whisk 2 teaspoons of olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic in a small bowl, combining well. Place spinach in a large bowl, then pour over with the marinade, tossing to coat. Transfer spinach to a baking dish and distribute in an even layer. Next, add tomatoes into the large bowl (where the spinach was) and stir to coat with residual marinade lightly. Set aside.
- When onions have cooled, stir in mascarpone until well combined. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Spoon a few tablespoons of onion onto the chicken, then roll up with eggplants and place seam-side down on top of the spinach. Lightly spray with cooking spray, then sprinkle with basil. Repeat as necessary.
- When all meat and eggplant have been prepared, scatter with tomatoes. Bake the rollatini at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, broil for the remaining 5 to 10 minutes, and cook until browned. When ready, immediately plate and serve.