I’m constantly looking for new recipes that use items we get on sale or have in our stockpile. This Yummy Filipino Beef Empanada recipe was from Pinterest, but I did some alterations.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 2 refrigerated pie crust
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 14-ounce can of tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup of shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook onion and ground beef until cooked, drain, and stir in salt and chilli powder.
- Unroll the pie crust on an ungreased cookie sheet. Spoon 2 cups of the beef mixture onto half of each pie crust. Spread mixture to within a 1/2 inch of the edge.
- Top each with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. I forgot and had already closed it up by the time I realized this, so I added it to the top of the empanadas for the last couple of minutes of cooking.
- Brush edges with beaten egg, and then fold the top half over the beef mixture. Use a fork to seal the edges. Make a couple slits at the top and then brush the top with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and then cut into wedges.