Last Friday, we had Stuffed Spaghetti Squash and movie night. It was satisfying comfort food to have while binge-watching all our favourite films. It’s also a healthy choice of dish to have.
- 2 small or 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound of ground beef or turkey
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- About 10 baby carrots, quartered, or 2 small carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place cut-side down in a baking dish. Fill the bottom of the dish with water to about 1 inch deep. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until squash is softened but not completely cooked.
- While squash is baking, brown ground beef in a large skillet, add onion, green pepper and carrots. Continue cooking until vegetables become tender. Saute garlic and cook for about a minute. Add water, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian Seasoning. Salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer until liquid is evaporated.
- Dump water from your baking dish. Turn squash halves over so they’re cut-side up. Fill cavities with tomato mixture. Bake the squash for about 35 to 40 minutes, until squash is cooked through. Top with cheese and put back in the oven just long enough to melt cheese for about 5 minutes.