My Delightful Secret Taco Recipe. The Coach and I have a running joke – every time I ask him for a dinner idea, he says tacos. I know this probably doesn’t seem all that funny to you, but it came about because he asked me to make a taco recipe so often.
In our family, we love tacos. I grew up having tacos once a week. My dad had his own special way of making the taco meat and would fry up the taco shells, so they were a little crispy and nice and warm.
There’s really an art to knowing how hot to get the oil and how long to leave the shell in there (not long!). I learned this art of taco making and have shared some taco recipes with you.
Since my version of the taco recipe is a favorite in our family, I thought I’d let you in on the “secret recipe.”
I make my own taco seasoning mix using this recipe from Rachel Ray. I usually use about 4 tablespoons of it in my tacos. You can use as much as you like, depending on the seasoning mix you are using.
My Delightful Secret Taco Recipe
- 1½ pounds ground beef (minced beef)
- ½ medium yellow onion - diced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can refried beans
- ¼ cup chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- ¼ cup garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Italian herbs (oregano, rosemary, thyme, and sometimes basil and parsley)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the taco seasoning. Mix well and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef with the diced onion. Drain the fat off.
- Add the taco seasoning and water. Stir until the taco seasoning is well mixed in.
- Stir in the can of refried beans. Keep stirring until the beans are well mixed in. They will thin out some as you heat them and make it easier to stir them in and mix with the meat.
- Add the taco sauce until the meat mixture is the desired thickness. I find the beans make the meat really thick, so the taco sauce helps to make it the right consistency. You can add in more or less to make it the consistency you like!