This delectable stuffed onion recipe is a delicious festive trimming packed with flavour to accompany the perfect holiday turkey. But you can totally cook it on its own as it’s already very satisfying.
Delectable Stuffed Onion Recipe
- 6 big yellow onion
- 75 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 8 medium green onions (scallions or green shallots) - peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped
- 250 grams bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sage - chopped
- 750 grams ground beef (minced beef)
- 3 tablespoons parsley - chopped
- 1 large egg - beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese - grated
- First, heat the butter and rapeseed oil until the butter has melted, and add the shallots. Fry them gently until they are well softened but not browned. Stir in the garlic and season well with sea salt and black pepper. Remove the mixture pan from the heat and place the ingredients in a bowl; leave them to cool.
- Peel the apples, remove the core and cut them into small cubes. Next, mix the figs, apples, breadcrumbs, sage, meat and parsley with the shallots and season with sea salt and black pepper. Mix in the beaten egg until the mixture is quite firm.
- To prepare the onions for stuffing, peel the outer layers and chop the bottom off so the surface is flat; the onion should be able to stand. Chop the onion about a third of the way down; this will be used as the ‘hat’.
- Hollow the bottom half of the onion and place the stuffing inside. Top with cheese. Replace the ‘hat’ and brush the onion with melted butter before standing them on a baking tray. Place in the oven until the filling is cooked thoroughly and golden brown onions.
- Place any remaining stuffing into an ovenproof dish and cook alongside the turkey in the oven.