This beef puff pastry crumble is an excellent dish to serve when you want something unique for your guests. It’s not like any meat-filled puff pastry you have tasted before. Here’s a simple recipe you can make.
Filling Beef Puff Pastry Crumble
- 1 cup all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (white sugar)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup rice bran oil
- ⅓ to ½ cup water - cold
Beef & Spinach Filling Ingredients
- 150 grams ground beef (minced beef)
- ¼ small yellow onion - finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice (also called pimento or Jamaican Pepper)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg - grated
- ½ medium tomato - chopped
- 1½ tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ long red chili (red chilli in British English) - chopped
- 300 grams spinach - frozen, microwaved (3 minutes on high) and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt - to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a frying pan and cook the mince for about 10 minutes, until crumbly and lightly browned.
- Then, add onion, garlic and spices, and cook a little longer until the onion softens. Add tomato, tomato paste, sherry and chilli and cook over high heat until the juices evaporate and the mince is cooked through.
- Stir in spinach and add the seasoning.
- Blend the flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor. Add oil and a little of the water/wine gradually until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Take off from the food processor and knead with extra water/wine if needed until the dough comes together. Wrap the rolled dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour before using.
- After an hour, take it from the fridge. Dust the bench with a bit of polenta. Turn the dough onto the said bench.
- Roll it out to 3-millimetre thick, and cut out 8 to 10 circles, brush egg glaze around the edge of each pastry, place a bit of filling in the centre, and fold the circle in half, crimping the edges with a fork, brush the circle with egg glaze, and bake for about an hour.
- Press it into a greased brownie pan. Bake that at about 175 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes.